Thursday, November 6, 2008

Home at Last....

My, my...... Has it really been over a month since I've posted anything? I'm such a slacker! I've now been sufficiently chastised by friends and family for my slackerdom......(I don't think that's a word....). I've also been shamed by my older sister who is a wife and mother of 5 and she manages a small novelette on her blog nearly every day. I guess I'd better share a bit about our 3 1/2 week long road trip!!!
Let me just start by saying that 3 1/2 weeks is waaaaaaaaaaaay too long to be stuck in a car, on the road, sleeping in saggy hotel beds and eating swill from fast food joints and restaurants that charge a small fortune for some artery clogging, blood pressure jacking, flavorless lump of sawdust. Have I told you I'm glad to be home???? It really wasn't JUST the vacation, but after a week at home I had to go to San Antonio for a conference.
So anyway, we won't be taking anymore near month long journeys. We had an awesome time and got to visit friends and family (which we normally don't get a chance to see) so that was a bonus.
The route took us through Montana, South Dakota, Iowa, Missouri, Kansas, Colorado, Wyoming and back through Montana and Idaho. Rodd had never seen South Dakota, Kansas, Missouri or much of Iowa. We saw the Badlands in South Dakota but didn't shoot anything while there. I guess it just wasn't that impressive. I suppose it was interesting, just not really photo worthy. We skipped Mt. Rushmore. I've seen it a couple of times and Rodd wasn't dying to see it so we passed. Due to time it really came down to a choice between the Badlands and that. We'd always rather see some natural as manmade. We did stay at this completely disgusting camp ground at the east entrance to Badlands NP. It was called the Circle 10 Campground and Motel. It was one of those instances where it's pouring buckets with plenty of lightning, it's dark, it's late, you're tired and you tell yourself "How bad can it be?" Well, it can be that bad!!! We pulled in and saw that it was a "Good Sam" park. Now, I have no idea what that means, but I see it on lots of fancy RV bumpers, so I figured it might be safe. WRONG!!!! The trick here is that those huge, fancy RV's have their own bathroom facilities. In that case, it might have been ok. However, the "bath-house" at this place had enough mildew to keep Lysol in business for at least the next 5 years. And that was just what was on the shower curtain!!! Locks of Love should stop by this place and scoop up the hair that was on the floor of the shower stalls. I'm serious, they could have made at least 2 or 3 full wigs with this stuff. Ew!
Here are some choice images from the Circle 10. Perhaps over the weekend I'll post something more interesting and less disgusting! :)

6 comments:

The Chad Beck's said...

oh yuck, you are making me laugh so hard right now though! I've had the lovely pleasure of seeing places like this in my time, (another reason I don't like to camp much.) Stuff like this are memories you'll never forget. :)

Yeah, I would like to see some more pretty pictures next! :) Glad to see you guys back home safe.

Karina said...

lol. We stayed in this dreadful little place up near Bonners Ferry that was kind of like that....haha, JUST KIDDING! Your house was disturbingly immaculate and way too cool for us to leave! Thank you SO MUCH for opening your beautiful home up for us to stay in...we loved it! I enjoyed seeing you & Rodd too...you guys have to make it down here some time! And you should bring some caramel apple dipping sauce too cos I checked the supermarket and we dont have any!

In regards to your post- that's why I'd rather go camping where there are no toilets, you feel cleaner squatting in the bushes than in places like that.

I have always wanted to see "the black hills of Dakota"...(Im a Calamity Jane freak!) and have always wanted to go to Kansas...just so I could leave Kansas and say the oh so famous "..I dont think we're in Kansas anymore...".

Cant wait to see some more pictures from your trip. I have barely had a chance to look over ours, and most of ours are goofy family shots....the one day I had free reign of the camera for 'photography' my white balance was disturbingly out...as you know. Hrmm.

Anyways, just wanted to say g'day and yah, looking forward to reading your posts to come!

Karina said...

By the way, you should be careful because C&H really DO have binoculars.....:P

Craig and Heather said...

Yes, we have binoculars and spy regularly :)

(gag) What a gross bathroom. Hope you had your flip flops handy :S

Megan said...

Hey Shelby: Yes, I hear you! I'm not much of a "camper in foreign lands" either. I'm kind of spoiled and prefer the filth of a hotel bed that thousands of strangers have slept in before me!!! :) I know, it's kind of lame.... :)

Karina: LOL!!! I think that's so funny because you should see my house on a regular basis! Heather can second that. It's usually in a massive state of disarray with packing boxes (from eBay!), overflowing laundry baskets (the clothes are clean, they just rarely make it to their homes in the closets), overflowing bookcases...... You saw it at its best, trust me! :)
I'm going to have to get me some bino's to retalliate and see what's going on over there. Usually, we can see well enough with the naked eye. I can't count how many times I tell Rodd, "Hey, come over here to the window and check out what your nephew and nieces are doing now!!!!" They keep us well entertained! :) Silly kids....

Heather: Of COURSE I had flip flops handy. I practically live in them, you know. I wouldn't be caught dead in a public shower (especially one that disgusting) without them! :)

Phil said...

I've now been sufficiently chastised by friends and family for my slackerdom......(I don't think that's a word....)

Heh. It is now!

I'd imagine "Good Sam" would be short for "Good Samaritan".

What's in a name? Well, these days, there's often a lot of misdirection :-)