Tuesday, June 10, 2008

I think I'm going to vomit.........

Ok. I can't decide if I'm going vomit, cry, scream or just slit my wrists right now and have it over with!!! What led me to this place? A bit of history.......
I've been chasing the Nikon 70-200mm VR 2.8 for 2 weeks now. It's been out of stock EVERYWHERE!!!! I've tried OneCall (my first choice), Adorama, B&H Photo, and The Camera Corral in CDA. On order, on order, on order...... When asking when they would be in stock again, the same answer. "We don't know. They're flying out of here like nothing we've seen." Ok fine. I'll wait and just keep checking. I have checked for them daily for 2 weeks and they're still "on order". I even tried to buy the demo lens at Huppin's but they wouldn't budge. I even offered to buy a D300 body at the same time (seriously, I would have). They still wouldn't budge. This lens is a sweet lens. I mean, I have never seen such a nice lens. The clarity and bokeh are BEAUTIFUL! Not to mention the solid construction. I MUST have this lens. It's not an option anymore. It's become an obsession.
So, last night I was reading some reviews on Ken Rockwell's site. He has a link on his site to Ritz Camera, Adorama and Amazon for this lens. Of course, I already know that Amazon and Adorama don't have one. I clicked on the link for Ritz Camera.........drum roll please! (insert light from heaven and the Hallelujah chorus here).......THEY HAVE IT!!!! It's even the same price as it was at Huppin's. Fantabulous!!!! I'll take one! Usually, I have to agonize over a purchase like this ($1800.00) for days, sometimes weeks before committing. BUT I've done my homework, I know the value and this is the lens for me. So, I bought it. Here's where it starts to slide. This morning I checked my email and I have one from Ritz saying that I need to call their 800 number to confirm my order. Huh??? Didn't I just do that last night? You know, that little button that says "CONFIRM". The one you push after you give them your billing address, your shipping address, your mother's address, your credit card number and 4 or 5 secret codes relating to your credit card, your home phone, work phone, cell phone, neighbor's phone....and on we go. I thought we'd been through this already. So anyway, I called the 800 to see what the deal was. The deal is that they don't speak English. No, I'm sorry, that's not English. If English speaking Americans can't understand you, it doesn't count. So, I muddled through that conversation. What they want is the customer service phone number off the back of your credit card. I've never been asked for this before. So before giving them the number I called my CC company and asked them if that was "normal". They said that for large purchases online some companies call to verify the funds and such. Ok, that's fine. However, in the mean time I'm surfing the web looking for consumer reviews on RitzCamera. Bad idea. Why do I torment myself like this???? It's about 50/50 good and bad, but the bad is pretty bad. But, no one else has this lens and I'm dying for it. So, I press on. I called back to confirm, gave them the cust serv number for my card and checked yet again to be sure it was in stock. Yes, it will ship tomorrow.
So, by the time I got home from work today I had really been stewing about it. What if they're a scammy kind of outfit? What if the lens is damaged? What if it ends up to be a big ordeal? What if what if what if.....? My only saving grace in the whole thing is that no one else has the lens in stock. If I just keep telling myself this it will be ok. Right? WRONG!!!! I came home today and checked OneCall, just to torment myself I guess....... IT'S BACK IN STOCK!!!! I checked last night and it wasn't there. AAAAHHH!!!! What was I thinking????? I should have just waited. So now, I'm hooked up with some unknown, sketchy place with customer service in India. I could have ordered it today from OneCall. I even could have gone down to the store (Huppin's) and talked to Doug, my favorite sales rep, and taken one home tomorrow. WHY? WHY? WHYYYYYYYYYYY?
I'm crossing my fingers and praying that it arrives with no further issue. This is all so out of character for me. I NEVER buy from places I'm not familiar with. Usually, I'll make a small purchase or two to check them out. If all goes well, I'll buy something more significant. I don't know what I was thinking.............just shoot me!!!!
I'll keep you posted.

7 comments:

SLANCE said...

I did the same thing when I bought by D300...I hate waiting! Sounds like this is a lens I should have...what is so good about it?

Shaggy said...

I was pretty stupid for letting Lance order that cheap deal on the internet on my card - I knew it was a scam too. Luckily we got it cancelled...

I think you are ok Megan, I don't know anything about camera stuff, but I am pretty sure RitzCamera or whatever it is is a francheise store...I am almost positive there used to be one in the Silver Lake Mall...

Terah said...

Believe me when I say I feel your pain...
This happens to me ALL THE TIME!(And Lyle can confirm this)If I want something it's not going to happen, no way, no how. Seriously. It doesn't matter what it is, significant or not, it gets messed up EVERY time!
Fortunatly, you're not me!
Hope everything works out...

Megan said...

Lance: You NEED this lens!!! This is the ultimate wedding and sports photography lens. The opportunity to shoot a wedding indoors / low light / no obtrusive flash. Oh yeah! This is the one! It supercedes its predecessor the 80-200 2.8 because it has the VR. I checked out the demo unit at Huppin's on the D300....sweeeeet!!!! I simply must have it. You should check it out the next time you're in Spokane. You'll want it.

Lyle: That's another piece that I forgot to mention...... This Ritz Camera is not associated in any way with the Ritz Camera retail stores....AAAHHHH!!! POOP! I was counting on that too. :(

Terah: Thanks for the "comfort" in knowing I'm not alone in my drama! I do most of my equipment shopping online and I've not been burned yet. I'm just praying this isn't a first. :(

Crystal said...

Hi Megan,

I am Ryan's wife Crystal.. or Lance, Lyle, Chad, and the rest of everybody else's sister in law.

And have been totally coveting a similar cannon version of that lens. I can completely understand how much you NEED it! :) There has to be a difference though cuz it is only 700.00. But it is the 70-200 zoom 2.8 hmmm now I am curious?

We got burned on our CS2 via ebay.. but we actually got our money back within 2 weeks...

I hate that sick feeling in your stomach! Aghhh. Hope it works out well.

Megan said...

Hey Crystal,
Thanks for stopping by. I can see you understand my "need" for this lens..... :) It's an awesome lens and I can hardly stand that it's out of stock! I'm hoping it will come back in soon. It's killing me!!! :)
MO

Crystal said...

Ya.. Ryan hasn't let me click the buy it now button YET! I am working on him though... :) I have just gotten started into photography again since January.. so you can imagine between upgrading computer, monitor, lenses, Back up hard drive, PS ect... he has spoiled me bigtime!

Trying not to push, but the only lens I will really shoot with is my 50mm 1.8

A telephoto zoom is a must have, and I KNOW I will not be happy with the confines of f4-6. Not with shooting indoors for dance ect.!

Good luck!